If you live in Texas and you see Unclaimed Property in Texas, you can help return it to the rightful owner by reporting it online at www.claimittexas.org.
About Unclaimed Property in Texas
Chances are, you might be owed unclaimed property, and if you live in Texas, it is possible for you to check and make sure what you are owed. Simply go to the website, and click on the link ‘Check Existing Claim’. You can also search for claims using the link ‘Search Now!’ In addition to all this, if you are a holder, you may even be able to report the unclaimed property.
The Types of Property that can be reported
The type of property that can be reported as unclaimed in Texas include the following:
- Bank Accounts that include unclaimed money.
- Checks that are uncashed.
- Vendor or Customer credits that are found.
- Any form of monetary obligations that are outstanding.
How to Report Unclaimed Property in Texas
If you are aware of any unclaimed property, follow the steps listed below to report it.
- On your computer, on your preferred web browser, enter in the following link in the search bar: http://www.claimittexas.org/
- Scroll down the page and click the link ‘Report Unclaimed Property’.
- You will now be redirected to a new page. Here, you can gain a lot of information on terminology and the process associated with reporting unclaimed property.
- If you are a holder (aka someone who is in possession of property that belongs to someone else) then you will need to report the unclaimed property.
- Follow the deadlines provided. These deadlines will be dependent on the type of the property that you find to be unclaimed.
Dana Anspach is a Certified Financial Planner and an expert on investing and retirement planning. She is the founder and CEO of Sensible Money, a fee-only financial planning and investment firm.